Thursday 7 July 2016

My Favorite Banana Cake Recipe

Even though I know cake is not good for the waist line, I still love my banana cake. It is my favourite any day any time. The flavour it give when baking gives me so much joy, lol, YES I mean the one made with fresh ripe bananas not the artificial flavour. I suppose you understand what I mean, and I have a favourite recipe I want to share with you all, I remember my NYC days when I usually made this cake in the weekends and my Copper Colleagues will will shout MAUREEN!!! what are you making? This smells like Mr. BIGG'S in Corper's lodge!!!, lol. Ok before you start salivating I will give you some tips on how to get the best cake out of this recipe, just follow the instructions carefully.












Banana Cake Recipe

 Prep Time: 15 mins
 Baking Time: 35 mins
 Ready In : 50 mins



                                           Ingredients


  • 2 cups of flour (240g), sifted
  • 1 cup margarine (227g) 
  • 1 cup caster sugar (201g)
  • 2 large eggs, separated
  • 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup liquid milk (125ml)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla flavour
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)


(c) Maury's Blog




      Other Requirements

Two medium baking pans, round or loaf types

A medium mixing bowl, wooden spoon or mixer for mixing

Two small bowls for eggs

A grater for nutmeg

Measuring cups and spoons

A small plate for nutmeg

A small bowl and fork for mashing banana

A balloon whisk for eggs


(c )Maury's Blog




        Method

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees/325F

2. Mix sifted flour, grated nutmeg, cinnamon(if being used) used and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.

3. Grease baking pans with margarine and dust with flour, remove any excess flour.

4. In a medium mixing bowl place margarine and sugar and cream until light and fluffy

5. Add in egg yolks and continue mixing until well combined, if mixture starts to cuddle, add a little flour

6. Add vanilla and milk and mix to combine well

7. Add the flour in three different batches, making sure you do not over mix.

8. Beat egg whites until still and foamy, then quickly fold into the cake batter. Do not over mix to prevent cake from becoming hard.

9. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake in preheated oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until it tests done with a tooth pick.

10. Remove cakes from the oven and allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool on a wire rack until completely cool.

Enjoy cake with tea, juice or just plain with cold glass of water, but be careful not to eat all the cake in one day, sooo tempting.

Store cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator.


Helpful Tips 

  • Make sure eggs and margarine are in room temperature, if you have them in the fridge bring them out about 30 minutes before you start your preparation.

  • If you are using salted butter, omit the salt in the recipe.


  • Use over ripe bananas to get the best flavour for your cake.

  • Separate the egg yolks from the white to have a fluffy cake.

  • Caster sugar is powdered white sugar.

  • Use freshly grated nutmeg for the best flavour.

  • If you do not have cinnamon, your cake will still come out great.

  • If you do not have a balloon whisk, use a fork.

  • Make sure all ingredients are set before you start mixing cake. 

 Is there a different way you make your banana cake? I will like to hear from you my dear readers or just let me know how your cake turned out, i'll see you soon **





     
     
     
     
   
     
     
     
     
     

No comments: